These Artists Are Reinterpreting Music by BLACKPINK and More as Original Works
The pieces, which celebrate Interscope Records’ 30th anniversary, will be displayed at LACMA later this month.
To celebrate Interscope Records’ 30th anniversary, dozens of renowned visual artists have created original works inspired by songs and albums released by the label’s musical artists through the years. Kehinde Wiley, Damien Hirst, Takashi Murakami, Lauren Halsey, Cecily Brown, and more reinterpreted releases by musicians including Olivia Rodrigo, Lady Gaga, 2Pac, Billie Eilish, Kendrick Lamar, and Nine Inch Nails—the list goes on.
The commissioned pieces, over 50 in total, will be displayed in a new exhibit titled “Artists Inspired by Music: Interscope Reimagined” at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) from Jan. 30 to Feb. 13. Three of the pieces were unveiled today to celebrate the news: Cecily Brown’s take on Billie Eilish’s EP Don’t Smile At Me, Kehinde Wiley’s interpretation of Dr. Dre’s The Chronic 2001, and Rashid Johnson’s ode to Kendrick Lamar’s album Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City.
ELLE.com can also exclusively reveal a piece by L.A.-based painter Jennifer Guidi inspired by Blackpink’s The Album.
“Blackpink has broken barriers for women in so many ways and I wanted to honor that by approaching this project with the idea of feminine power in mind,” Guidi tells ELLE.com. “There is a literal acknowledgment of the band by creating a black and pink painting, and I was attracted to the relationship of the two colors—love and romance intertwined with sophistication and mystique—and their complexity as a whole. The painting is titled
‘Seeking Hearts’ to represent the ongoing quest for truth, happiness, and love.”
The visual artists were chosen over the past year by Interscope co-founder Jimmy Iovine, chairman John Janick, music executive Josh Abraham, and vice chairman Steve Berman. The team organized the exhibition with LACMA Associate Curator of Decorative Arts and Design, Staci Steinberger. Timed-entry admission tickets go on sale Jan. 20 on LACMA’s website.
See the full list of artists and their musical inspirations below:
- Adam Pendleton: Dr. Dre – The Chronic
- Amoako Boafo: 6LACK – FREE 6LACK
- Anna Park: Billie Eilish – When We All Fall Asleep Where Do We Go?
- Anna Weyant: Gwen Stefani – The Sweet Escape
- Burnt Toast: Timbaland – Shock Value*
- Burnt Toast: N.E.R.D. – Seeing Sounds*
- Cecily Brown: Billie Eilish – dont smile at me
- Chloe Wise: Yeah Yeah Yeahs – It’s Blitz!
- Damien Hirst: Eminem – Entire Catalogue
- Derrick Adams: Mary J. Blige – The Breakthrough
- Ed Ruscha: 2Pac – All Eyez On Me
- Emily Mae Smith: Nine Inch Nails – Broken
- Ferrari Sheppard: Blackstreet – “No Diggity”
- Genesis Tramaine: Summer Walker – Over It
- Henni Alftan: Olivia Rodrigo – SOUR
- Henry Taylor: Kendrick Lamar – DAMN. (“DNA”)
- Hilary Pecis: Selena Gomez – Rare
- Issy Wood: Gwen Stefani – Love. Angel. Music. Baby. (“Cool”)
- Jenna Gribbon: Lana Del Rey – Born To Die
- Jennifer Guidi: Blackpink –The Album
- John Currin: U2 – “Beautiful Day”
- Jordy Kerwick: MGK – Tickets to My Downfall (“My Bloody Valentine”)
- Julie Curtiss: No Doubt – Tragic Kingdom (“Just a Girl”)
- KAWS: Snoop Dogg – Doggystyle
- Kehinde Wiley: Dr. Dre –The Chronic 2001
- Lauren Halsey: Kendrick Lamar – To Pimp a Butterfly
- Lisa Yuskavage: Billie Eilish – Happier Than Ever
- Loie Hollowell: Lady Gaga – Fame Monster
- Lucy Bull: No Doubt – Tragic Kingdom (“Spiderwebs”)
- Mark Quinn: MGK – Tickets to My Downfall
- Matthew Wong: Lana Del Rey – Paradise
- Fulton Leroy Washington AKA Mr. Wash: The Game – The Documentary
- Nicolas Party: Lady Gaga – Joanne
- Nina Chanel Abney: 2Pac – The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory
- OSGEMEOS: Black Eyed Peas – The E.N.D.
- Rashid Johnson: Kendrick Lamar – Good Kid MAAD City
- Raymond Pettibon: Lana Del Rey – Norman Fucking Rockwell
- Reggie Burrows Hodges: Kendrick Lamar – Good Kid M.A.A.D City (“Swimming Pools” (Drank)
- Richard Prince: Nine Inch Nails – The Downward Spiral
- Sayre Gomez: 50 Cent – Get Rich or Die Tryin’
- Shepard Fairey: Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Fever To Tell
- Stanley Whitney: Kendrick Lamar – To Pimp A Butterfly (“King Kunta”)
- Takashi Murakami: Juice WRLD – Goodbye and Good Riddance
- Titus Kaphar: Eve – Scorpion
- Toyin Ojih Odutola: Kendrick Lamar – DAMN.
- Umar Rashid: 2Pac – Me Against The World
- Will Boone: Helmet – Meantime